Sunday, August 16, 2009

Web Quest

I think that this would have to be one of the most time consuming and complicated tools I have looked at so far. It takes a large amount of time to try and create a learning objects, that often looks vastly different to how you intended. I don't think that I would ever attempt to use this as a learning tool as the more traditional approach suits my style much better.

The time that it takes to prepare a WebQuest is phenomenal! I don't think that enough of the curriculum could be addressed to make it an effective tool to use. Unless one WebQuest could be used for 5 or 6 classes, or recycled for multiple years, the time imput factor is to great to want to created this learning tool.

I don't like WebQuest, I don't think that I could use it, and I don't think that I ever will.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,
    I agree with you about the time consuming factor of WebQuests, and I think its a real shame. Other than WebQuests being time consuming, they seem to be great ICT's for our students. As I stated in my own Blog posting, these 'Quests' could be presented to our students as 'missions' that they must undertake to seek answers on particular topics. Judging by how popular video games are these days, I am sure this would be a hit. However, like you stated, who has the time? We have to be realistic about these ICT's and it is unfortunate that some which are seem so good in theory, are no good in practice.

    Regards
    Kelly Wilkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess
    What you say is correct, WebQuests would be exceptionally time consuming but think of the advantages,once you have put the time into creating your WebQuest, the hard work is done. No more daily lesson plans to worry about or being the main source of information for your students. Now you can do what we are being trained to do and that is to guide your students through the process of enquiry based and meaningful learning in a real world context.
    I believe students would be far more motivated to undertake a web based quest than any other form of learning in the classroom. It even sounds exciting.
    Cheers
    Deb

    ReplyDelete